Eurasian Journal of Soil Science

Volume 5, Issue 1, Jan 2016, Pages 13 - 16
DOI: 10.18393/ejss.2016.1.013-016
Stable URL: http://ejss.fess.org/10.18393/ejss.2016.1.013-016
Copyright © 2016 The authors and Federation of Eurasian Soil Science Societies



Lithium adsorption on amorphous aluminum hydroxides and gibbsite

X

Article first published online: 18 Jun 2015 | How to cite | Additional Information (Show All)

Author information | Publication information | Export Citiation (Plain Text | BibTeX | EndNote | RefMan)

CLASSICAL | APA | MLA | TURABIAN | IEEE | ISO 690

Abstract | References | Article (XML) | Article (HTML) | PDF | 722 | 1743

Prodromou,K., 2016. Lithium adsorption on amorphous aluminum hydroxides and gibbsite. Eurasian J Soil Sci 5(1):13 - 16. DOI : 10.18393/ejss.2016.1.013-016
,& Prodromou,K. Lithium adsorption on amorphous aluminum hydroxides and gibbsite Eurasian Journal of Soil Science, DOI : 10.18393/ejss.2016.1.013-016
, and ,Prodromou,K. "Lithium adsorption on amorphous aluminum hydroxides and gibbsite" Eurasian Journal of Soil Science, DOI : 10.18393/ejss.2016.1.013-016
, and ,Prodromou,K. "Lithium adsorption on amorphous aluminum hydroxides and gibbsite" Eurasian Journal of Soil Science, DOI : 10.18393/ejss.2016.1.013-016
KP,Prodromou "Lithium adsorption on amorphous aluminum hydroxides and gibbsite" Eurasian J. Soil Sci, vol., no., pp., DOI : 10.18393/ejss.2016.1.013-016
Prodromou,Konstantinos Lithium adsorption on amorphous aluminum hydroxides and gibbsite. Eurasian Journal of Soil Science,. DOI : 10.18393/ejss.2016.1.013-016

How to cite

Prodromou, K., P.2016. Lithium adsorption on amorphous aluminum hydroxides and gibbsite. Eurasian J. Soil Sci. 5(1): 13 - 16. DOI : 10.18393/ejss.2016.1.013-016

Author information

Konstantinos Prodromou , Laboratory of Applied Soil Science, School of Agriculture, Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece

Publication information

Issue published online: 01 Jan 2016
Article first published online : 18 Jun 2015
Manuscript Accepted : 15 Jun 2015
Manuscript Received: 10 Dec 2014
DOI: 10.18393/ejss.2016.1.013-016
Stable URL: http://ejss.fesss.org/10.18393/ejss.2016.1.013-016

Abstract

Lithium (Li) adsorption on both amorphous aluminum hydroxides and gibbsite was studied. For the amorphous Al(OH)3 the adsorption was found to be pH dependent. Generally, 1.6 times more Li was adsorbed at initial pH value 8.0 compared with pH value 6.50. Gibbsite adsorbed 11.6 to 45.5 times less Li quantities compared with amorphous Al(OH)3. Lithium adsorption was not depended on equilibrium times. It remained stable for all equilibrium times used. Lithium quantities extracted with 1N CH3COONH4 pH 7 , represent the physical adsorption, while the remaining Li that was adsorbed on Al(OH)3, represents the chemical adsorption. During the desorption process 19% of Li extracted with NH4+, represents the physical adsorption, while the remaining 81% of Li, which was adsorbed represents the chemical adsorption. In gibbsite, 9.6% of Li represents the physical adsorption and 90.4% the chemical one. The experimental data conformed well to Freundlich isotherm equation.

Keywords

Adsorption, aluminum hydroxides, desorption, lithium

Corresponding author

References

Bradford, G.R., 1966. Lithium. In: Diagnostic criteria for plant and soils. (Chapman, H.D., ed) Agric. Sci. Univ. California, Riverside, CA. pp. 218-224.

Brümmer, G.W. 1986. In : The Importance of Chemical Speciation in Environmental Process. Springer – Verlag, Berlin, pp. 169-192.

De Villiers, J.E., 1983. The manganese deposits of Griqualand West, South Africa: some mineralogic aspects. Economic Geology 78: 1108-1118.

Golden, D.C., Dixon, J.B., Kanehiro, Y., 1993. The manganese oxide mineral, lithiophorite, in an Οxisol from Hawaii. Australian Journal of Soil Research 31: 51-66.

Helmke, P.A., Sparks, D.L., 1996. Lithium, Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium and Cesium. In: Methods of Soil Analysis. Part 3. Chemical Methods. No 5. Chapter 19 pp. 551-555.

Pistiner, J.S., Henderson. G.M., 2003. Lithium – isotope fractionation during continental weathering processes. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 214 (1-2): 327-339.

Abstract

Lithium (Li) adsorption on both amorphous aluminum hydroxides and gibbsite was studied. For the amorphous Al(OH)3 the adsorption was found to be pH dependent. Generally, 1.6 times more Li was adsorbed at initial pH value 8.0 compared with pH value 6.50. Gibbsite adsorbed 11.6 to 45.5 times less Li quantities compared with amorphous Al(OH)3. Lithium adsorption was not depended on equilibrium times. It remained stable for all equilibrium times used. Lithium quantities extracted with 1N CH3COONH4  pH 7 , represent the physical adsorption, while the remaining Li that was adsorbed on Al(OH)3, represents the chemical adsorption. During the desorption process 19% of Li extracted with NH4+, represents the physical adsorption, while the remaining 81% of Li, which was adsorbed represents the chemical adsorption. In gibbsite, 9.6% of Li represents the physical adsorption and 90.4% the chemical one. The experimental data conformed well to Freundlich isotherm equation.

Keywords: Adsorption, aluminum hydroxides, desorption, lithium

References

Bradford, G.R., 1966. Lithium. In: Diagnostic criteria for plant and soils. (Chapman, H.D., ed) Agric. Sci. Univ. California, Riverside, CA. pp. 218-224.

Brümmer, G.W. 1986. In : The Importance of Chemical Speciation in Environmental Process. Springer – Verlag, Berlin, pp. 169-192.

De Villiers, J.E., 1983. The manganese deposits of Griqualand West, South Africa: some mineralogic aspects. Economic Geology 78: 1108-1118.

Golden, D.C., Dixon, J.B., Kanehiro, Y., 1993. The manganese oxide mineral, lithiophorite, in an Οxisol from Hawaii. Australian Journal of Soil Research 31: 51-66.

Helmke, P.A., Sparks, D.L., 1996. Lithium, Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium and Cesium. In: Methods of Soil Analysis. Part 3. Chemical Methods. No 5. Chapter 19 pp. 551-555.

Pistiner, J.S., Henderson. G.M., 2003. Lithium – isotope fractionation during continental weathering processes. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 214 (1-2): 327-339.



Eurasian Journal of Soil Science